What you need to know
Hate to be a downer, but accidents—and death—are facts of life. There’s no way to avoid them entirely, so why not at least be prepared for them? That’s where life and accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance come in. Life insurance pays money to your beneficiary if you die. AD&D insurance pays a benefit in the event you die or get injured due to an accident.
Basic life and AD&D
- Coverage equal to 2 times your annual salary, up to $1 million.
- Provided automatically by Workday, at no cost to you.
- You pay taxes on the cost of coverage over $50,000 (called imputed income).
- If you don’t want to pay imputed income, or just don't need the additional coverage, you can elect a flat $50,000 basic life benefit.
Voluntary life and AD&D
You can purchase additional amounts of individual term life and AD&D insurance. If you elect coverage for yourself, you can also purchase coverage for your spouse/domestic partner and/or your child(ren).
Purchase coverage in $5,000 increments, up to five times your annual earnings or $1 million, whichever is less. If you elect coverage above $500,000, you’ll need to complete an evidence of insurability (EOI) application—a brief health questionnaire—in Workday. Pro tip: you’ll receive a task in your Workday inbox, where you can complete the EOI application.
For your spouse or domestic partner
Purchase coverage in $5,000 increments, up to 100% of your individual coverage or $500,000, whichever is less. If you elect coverage above $50,000, your spouse or domestic partner will need to complete an evidence of insurability (EOI) application in Workday.
For your children
Purchase coverage in $1,000 increments, up to $20,000. Children are eligible up to their 26th birthday.
Things to consider
How much coverage is enough? Here are a few questions to ask yourself:
- If you have dependents who rely on you, how much money will they need to pay for living expenses and other items such as a mortgage, car loans, credit cards, education, and funeral expenses?
- What will it cost your dependents to maintain their current standard of living?
- What kind of future would you like to provide for your spouse/domestic partner, children, or others who rely on you for financial support?
Accidents will happen
The most common theme among all accidents—motor vehicle, fire, poisoning, etc.—is breaking the instructions, rules, and laws. So, yeah, there are times to be a rebel. Like when you drink a cup of hot coffee without that protective cardboard sleeve. And there are times to put your—and everyone else’s—safety first.
You’ll assign beneficiaries for your life and AD&D insurance when you enroll in Workday, and you can update them at any time. Name anyone you want as your beneficiary to receive your employee life and AD&D benefits in case of your death. You will automatically be the beneficiary of any spouse or child coverage you elect.
Want to learn more? Check out these overviews: